Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Fuzzy Foot II: Electric Boogaloo

I think I used that post title the last time I posted about finishing fuzzy feet. Oh well. I like it. It makes me think of disco. Anyhow, I finished the second fuzzy foot last night at my knitting meetup. It's a bit smaller than the first, but I think that's because for the first, I used the smallest cord in my Boye set to knit it in the round until I couldn't fit it anymore. The second, I had went ahead and bought a 32" Addi turbo in the 10 1/2 size because I figured I'd be knitting a lot of these. Um...well...I think doing the magic loop cum sideloop technique made me knit it a bit tighter. Oh well. It's not that huge a difference and once they're felted who'll know anyway? Now, all I have to do before April 21st is find a box to wrap them in, type out some fun step-by-step felting directions that a 12 yr old could follow (with mom's help with the washer) and get them mailed to Seattle. I think my Nephew will like these. And probably the do-it-yourself part more. So, the meetup last night was at a new location for the folks on the north end of town. Well, I got lost getting there. Thanks, MapQuest. A mall is not in the middle of the suburbs. It's a new mall, just opened at the beginning of February (I think, coulda been before that) so you'll forgive me for not knowing where it was. But damn. The Borders books in that mall where we met...amazing collection of knitting books. I found The Twisted Sisters Sock workbook (which I'd only seen online) and finally broke down and bought Socks Socks Socks. I was able to flip through it thoroughly and admitted that there were at least 4 or 5 socks patterns I wanted to make in it. The Twisted Sisters book - wow. There's so much more than just sock information in there. It'll be a great resource for me when I'm ready to dye that sock yarn I bought from knitpicks at the beginning of the year, and when I get my hands on a drop spindle to give spinning a go. It's all there! Sweet. And I got a 25% discount for the next time I buy something there. So I think I'll finally break down and buy Knitting Over the Edge. I really should get it before the weekend, because I want to finish up the pinwheel blanket. I might go ahead and get it tonight at the meetup at Books-a-Million. The blanket is big enough for it's purpose, and it's ready for an edging. I'm trying to figure out how that'll work on a round blanket. Will I have to maintain the YO every other round of the edging to keep it flat? Hmm... In other news. My favorite Conveinience store clerk was shot and killed the other night. Rajendra Premani always greeted me by name, remembered little details about me, would have my 2 packs of Parliment Light Menthols ready for me (before I quit) and cheered me on when I told him I was quitting. For 4 years, I only went to that Circle K because of him. I lived right next door. The apartment complex that the shooter ran into after. For 3 of those years, my building was right next door to the Circle K. Then I moved further back into the complex. Raj was covering for a co-worker. He could have gone home 3 and a half hours earlier, but he stayed. He and his co-worker did everything that was asked of them, and the asshole still fired his gun. I'm so glad they caught the guy. It hurts my heart to think that this kind man is dead.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Turtle! That's horrible about Raj. So sad. I hate creeps who do this sh**. So sorry.

(and I like the fuzzy feets!)

Pyewacket said...

I am so, so sorry about your friend. How can such idiotic cruelty exist in this world? Peace to his family -- and I hope they throw the book at the guy.

Zonda said...

So sorry about your friend! That just stinks! So glad they got the person though!!


Nice FF :)

Anonymous said...

That's so sad about Raj :( Happens all too often around here, so I know how you feel.

Bezzie said...

Boy that's just awful that happened. It's people like your friend that that make a big-city seem more small town.

Rain said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend at the store. What a terrible thing to happen.

I'm sure your nephew will love his fuzzy feet and will have a lot of fun felting them himself.

Jo said...

Cristi,

That is so horrible :( I'm glad they caught him, too.

Jo

Amy said...

so sorry to hear about that.

Donna said...

I am so sorry about Raj.

mizmarilyn said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, sweetie...

mizm

String Bean said...

What an a*hole. That guy should be shot. I'm sorry you lost a friend. It's horrible when someone you know dies.

I love the color of your fuzzy feet.

DPUTiger said...

Yes, I'm reading waaaay back blog entries. I'm cranky at work and it's entertaining!

So Fuzzy Feet. I'm becoming addicted and am thinking Xmas in a big way. How did it go with your nephew felting his FF himself? Did you have someone measure his feet or just guesstimate on how long to knit them? Just nosy/curious. My first pair (in Cascade 220) will be done, but not felted, tonight.

Thanks! :)

Your California stalker,
amy