Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Cursed Clapotis

Well, I dropped my first stitch last night and promptly fucked up. Those instructions right after dropping the stitch..."pick up bar making sure not to twist the stitch and knit this and the following stitch through the back loops"...I did not take to mean to knit them together as a decrease. So, when I got to the next knit row and realized my mistake, I decided to tink back to the purl side of the fuck-up, and p2tog, slip the stitch back to the left needle and p2tog again. It looks ok. Oh well. At least when I finally do the clapotis for myself I'll be able to avoid all the pitfalls I've had with this one. The Stitch n Bitch last night was so much fun. There were only 4 of us, but these ladies are so much fun to chat with, it wouldn't matter if there were 2 or 20. The other three were smart and brought simpler projects that you could chat and knit with. Me, I take the Aibhlinn and Clapotis. I shoulda worked on the Aihblinn the whole time. I can do that without too much thought. But I really wanted to get through that first straight row of the Clapotis. Silly me. You live, you learn. When I got home, I decided to practice a stitch on my ever-growing swatch scarf. I don't know if it will ever be an actual, wearable, scarf - but it's serving a purpose nonetheless. The first swatch on it is the cable pattern from the Irish Hiking Scarf, then a couple rows of some pretty wonky looking herringbone design from a recent publication. Can't recall right now, but it did NOT go well. So last night I tried out the stitch pattern from My So-Called Scarf which some people actually refer to as a herringbone stitch. Lemme tell ya, this went much better and looks a helluva lot better than the stitch I was trying to do before. They really don't look anything alike though. I'm wondering what kind of crack the designer was smoking when they designed it. Heh, I just now went to the tkga site to see if I could find a pic of the pattern, then I see there's errata for that particular pattern. No wonder it was a bitch and looked like crap. But anywho, I'm thrilled with the way the "My So-Called Scarf" pattern is turning out. I was intimidated when I first read the instructions a couple months ago, but I get it now. I just need to go buy some great yarn to make this with for my sister. Something light I think. She's in Arizona and it does get cool at night there during the winter, so she'll wear it. But I don't want anything too heavy. And she wants light pink. And black. Anyone know of any black flecked light pink yarn out there?

1 comment:

Rain said...

Gah! I hate it when patterns are a bit vague and don't spell it out for you.

At least you fixed it ok though.